Friday, July 09, 2010

The Time Is Now

A note from Sherry…

I searched for an author of this note but was unable to find one.  I am not the author.

I had a marvelous mother who loved me, sacrificed for me and helped me in every way possible. In all of my growing up from childhood through college and eventually marriage, my mother was always at my side. And when I needed help with my little ones, she was there for me.

Today, we buried this wonderful woman. Can you imagine how I felt when I returned from the services and found poem in her desk drawer written by my mom?

The Time Is Now

If you are ever going to love

Love me now while I can know

The sweet and tender feelings

Which from true affection flow

Love me now while I am living

Do not wait until I am gone

And then have it chiseled in marble

Sweet words on ice cold stone

If you have tender thoughts of me

Please tell me them now

If you wait until I am sleeping

Death will be between us

And I won't hear you then

So if you love me, even a little bit

Let me know while I am living

So that I can treasure it

........ Now she is gone and I am sick with guilt because I never told her what she meant to me. Worse yet, I did not treat her as she deserved to be treated. I found time for everyone and everything but I never made time for her. It would have been easy to drop in for a cup of tea and a hug but my friends came first. Would any of them have done for me what my mother did? I know the answer.

When I called mom on the phone, I was always in a hurry. I feel ashamed when I think of the times I cut her off, the times I was rude or just brushed her off. I remember too, the times I could have included her and didn't.

The world is filled with sons and daughters like me. I hope they see themselves in this letter and learn from it.

“Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” - Deuteronomy 5:16 

Source :
Sherry’s Inspirational -http://groups.google.com/group/Sherrys_Inspirational

Popular Posts