Friday, July 09, 2010

See With Heart

See With Your Heart
Author: Neil Eskelin

Some time ago, while on a speaking tour of high schools in the Northeast, I was scheduled to address students at the State School for the Blind in Batavia, New York.

That year I was presenting a program on world affairs based on my experiences traveling in Africa. To illustrate the program I used several artifacts.

What should I do at the school for the blind? What possible benefit would the visual material be? Well, I decided to present the program just as I would to any other audience. At the end of my presentation I invited the students to the front to “feel” some of the articles I was referring to.

A young lady about thirteen years old asked, “May I look at the wood carving you talked about?”

I thought it strange that she would ask to “look” at something she could not see. I was even more surprised when she held it and exclaimed, “Oh, this is really lovely. It’s the most beautiful carving I’ve ever seen.”

I realized that she had a power of sight far greater than my own. She was not seeing with her eyes, but with her fingers, with her mind, with her heart. That’s the quality of vision each of us need.

“Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:” - Revelation 3:17

Source :
Sherry’s Inspirational -http://groups.google.com/group/Sherrys_Inspirational

Popular Posts