Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Not Just Any Bible

NOT JUST ANY BIBLE

“Can anyone hide out in a corner where I can't see him, declares Yahweh. Am
I not present everywhere, whether seen or unseen?” Jeremiah 23:24

In the 1930's Stalin ordered a purge of all Bibles and all believers. In
Stavropol, Russia, this order was carried out with a vengeance. Thousands
of Bibles were confiscated, and multitudes of believers were sent to the
gulags (prison camps) where most died for being 'enemies of the state.'

We once sent a team to Stavropol. The city’s history wasn't known at that
time. But when the team was having difficulty getting Bibles shipped from
Moscow, someone mentioned the existence of a warehouse outside of town
where these confiscated Bibles had been stored since Stalin's day.

After much prayer by the team, one member finally got up the courage to go
to the warehouse and ask the officials if the Bibles were still there.
Sure enough, they were. Then they asked if the Bibles could be removed and
distributed again to the people of Stavropol. The answer was, 'Yes!'

The next day the team returned with a truck, and several Russian people,
to help load the Bibles. One helper was a young man - a skeptical, hostile
agnostic collegian who had come only for the day's wages. As they were
loading Bibles, one team member noticed that the young man had disappeared.
Eventually they found him in a corner of the warehouse, weeping.

He had slipped away hoping to take a Bible for himself. What he found shook
him to the core. The inside page of the Bible he picked up had the handwritten signature of his own grandmother. It had been her personal Bible. Out of the thousands of Bibles still left in that warehouse, he stole the one belonging to his grandmother - a woman persecuted for her faith all her life.

No wonder he was weeping -- God was real -- and this was his introduction
to the sovereign El, the Creator of the universe!

As told by Andrea Wolfe

Read and meditate on these scriptures:
Psalm 119:10-16 “With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not
wander from Thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I
might not sin against Thee. Blessed art Thou, O LORD: teach me Thy
statutes. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of Thy mouth. I
have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I
will meditate in Thy precepts, and have respect unto Thy ways. I will
delight myself in Thy statutes: I will not forget Thy word.”

Visit http://www.Godswork.org

Popular Posts